Here is photo proof why you should NEVER leave your contact lenses in longer than recommended.
Meabh McHugh-Hill, a student from the UK, was almost left blind after leaving her contact lenses in for a solid 10 HOURS.
Whilst watching a movie with her boyfriend, Meabh realised just how long she had been wearing them and rushed to take them out, but in a panicked state, accidentally tore out part of her cornea in the process.
Speaking with Liverpool Echo, Meabh revealed:
“I ran upstairs to take them out and stupidly, in a rush, I just pinched my eye first like I normally would do to get the contact out.
“But I should have moistened them first - because this time my eye was so dry the contact had actually glued itself to my eyeball.
“After a few minutes the pain became unbearable. And I woke up the next morning not being able to open my left eye at all.
“I tried to look in the mirror but as soon as a tiny bit of daylight came in the room, my eye immediately forced itself closed. It was awful.
“The doctors said they were glad I had gone to them straight away and when they took a proper look they said I had scratched an entire layer off my whole eye.
“The pain was intense. I wasn't able to do much else besides stay in bed with the curtains drawn for the five days that followed.
“Even going into the bathroom to take a shower was unbearable because of the light shining in through the window."
Thankfully, Meabh’s sight is almost back to normal.
“I was so, so lucky. I could have lost my sight. I just didn’t realise how dangerous wearing contact lenses could be if your eyes are not moistened.”
Images: Meabh McHugh-Hill, JonTron/Youtube