We all love having our nails done, from time to time.
For some of us, 'from time to time' is a lot more frequent that you'd think, because a girl loves her style and beauty...
With the passion for fashion made obvious, we all have our fears about things going wrong in the salon.
Unfortunately for one woman, things went very VERY wrong.
An American woman from Virginia has recently won a $1 million lawuit against a nail salon who reportedly caused a nasty bacterial infection and scarring, following her pedicure at Red Nails of T & I.
After heading to the salon, Samantha Payne began to develop 'pimple-like sores on her legs'.
NBC12 reported that she was then diagnosed with a cutaneous mycrobacterial infection, which leads to boils growing upon the legs.
Samantha's attorneys revealed, "They had to be removed surgically, and it took several procedures to get those done, leaving her with scarring on her legs.
"Basins used at the nail salon, they didn't properly clean in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations."
The Virginian Board for Barbers and Cosmetology then investigated the salon and removed its licensing, explain that it "was negligent in failing to clean the pedicure chair basins pursuant to the manufacturer's guidelines."
The salon is now under new ownership, has been reneamed to Red Nails, and has not had any action taken against it.
This is definitely a wake up call for any salon's not following procedures.
If you're ever concerned about whether you should head into a salon, there are a few things you can look for.
Cosmetology Board's Executive Director Demetrios Melis has said, "Look for general cleanliness, a neat facility.
"Make sure there are no implements lying around. Always ask, 'How do you disinfect?'"
Check the salon and nail technician to see whether they have a license online, and stainless steel foot basins always help to cut risks of infections.
It's also a good idea to not shave your legs up to 24 hours prior to your appointment.
Stick to the places you know and trust.
Image Credit: NBC12.